Ask any food manufacturer to list the hottest topics in the food industry, and clean label is sure to be at the top of the list. As consumers continue to push food manufacturers to produce lightly processed food products with ingredients that are easy to understand, ingredient manufacturers have developed ingredients from starches and preservatives to sweeteners and flavor enhancers that help product developers meet these demands for clean label products. Here is a sample of some of the ingredient suppliers at IFT16 showcasing their clean label ingredients.
- Biospringer (booth 2448) launches Springer Organic Baker’s Yeast Extract for flavor enhancement and taste modification. The ingredient is produced from yeast without any chemical additives, according to the company, and it can be used to enhance savory notes in snacks, dressings, sauces, soups, gravies, and vegetarian products.
- Carolina Innovative Food Ingredients (booth 561) is introducing four new ingredients brands and two new ingredients that can replace high fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. The new brands are Carolina Original cloudy sweet potato juice, Carolina Clear clarified sweet potato juice, Carolina Craft dehydrated sweet potato ingredients (sweet potato flour and granules), and Carolina Sweet clean label sweetener. The two new ingredients are made from purple sweet potatoes. Purple sweet potato juice concentrate is rich in anthocyanins and has a purple hue. Purple sweet potato granules can provide fiber and other nutrients to baked goods and snacks.
- To help food manufacturers produce fresher and safer food while still adhering to clean label demands, Corbion (booth 1221) will feature several ingredients made from naturally derived sources. Learn about Verdad Avanta for meat and poultry products and Opti.Form, which provides control of Listeria. Purac Powders lend a long-lasting sour taste to acid-sanded confectionery while Ensemble gives developers an alternative to partially hydrogenated oils. Stop by the company’s booth to try doughnut, bagel, turkey, ham, sausage, ice cream, cheese spread, and candy product concepts made with these ingredients.
- Parker Products (booth 740) is introducing a line of cake inclusions for ice cream applications made without artificial flavors and colors, partially hydrogenated oil, preservatives, and allergens such as dairy, soy, and nuts. The colorful and flavorful inclusions are crunchy when dry, but once incorporated into the ice cream, where they absorb fat and moisture, they take on the dense mouthfeel of real cake.
- PLT Health Solutions (booth 2026) will showcase the new PhytoShield Flavor Enhancer that can help improve the shelf life of products while satisfying clean label requirements. The company has demonstrated that the ingredient is effective against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria, fungi, molds, and yeast. The flavor system’s antimicrobial activity is a synergistic effect created by the reaction of flavor components, polyphenols, bioflavonoids, and organic acids, according to the company.
- Scelta Taste Accelerator from Scelta Mushrooms (booth 2012) is an alternative to flavor enhancers like MSG and autolyzed yeast extracts. This ingredient is made of vegetable extracts and is potassium-free.
- TIC Gums (booth 3426) is debuting new texture and stability ingredients that meet labeling requirements such as organic and non-GM. Ticaloid PRO 181 AG emulsifies and stabilizes oils in nondairy milk alternatives like the toasted almond coconut milk that will be sampled at the booth. A gelatin-free gummy confection still has the sensory characteristics of a gummy made with gelatin thanks to Ticagel Natural GC-581 B. Dairyblend Natural IC CL hydrocolloid blend replaces monoglycerides and diglycerides in hard-packed ice cream applications.