2016 IFTSA Student Competition Winners
Congratulations to all the IFT Student Association 2016 Competition Winners! And thanks to all the finalist teams that participated.
26th Annual IFTSA & MARS Product Development Competition:
- 1st place: McGill University—Rephyll
Rephyll is a reinvention of a full day’s serving of vegetables in the form of a juicy patty that replicates the sensory and cooking experience of beef.
- 2nd place: Michigan State University—YerBagel
- 3rd place: University of Wisconsin, Madison—Qeen-Yos
Developing Solutions for Developing Countries Competition, sponsored by Tate & Lyle:
- 1st place: McGill University—Fitamin Multimeal
Fitamin Multimeal is a ready-to-eat stew made of lentils, tuna, skim milk powder, tahini, carrots, and tomatoes with added eggshell powder to boost the calcium content. A portion of the stew—which is targeted to pregnant women in Yemen—can be combined with flour to make flatbread.
- 2nd place: Universidad de Costa Rica—Hamilk
- 3rd place: Rutgers University—MagiCal
Disney–IFTSA Product Development Competition, sponsored by Disney Consumer Products:
- Grand prize: University of Massachusetts, Amherst—Elsa’s Oat Flurries
Elsa’s Oat Flurries are a combination of frozen Greek yogurt, fruit puree, and whole grain oats.
- 1st place: Penn State University—Rey’s Rations Jakku Juice Orb
- Honorary Mentions: Cal Poly San Luis Obispo—BB-8 bites
Rutgers University—BB8 Light Bites
University of Puerto Rico Mayaguez—Droidsicles
Undergraduate Research Paper Competition:
- 1st place: Samantha Van Wees
- 2nd place: Genevieve Sullivan
- 3rd place: Menghan Shi
IFTSA Thesis Video Competition, sponsored by Campden BRI:
- Amadeus “Ando” Ahnan, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Excellence in Leadership award:
- Graduate recipient: John Frelka, Ohio State University
- Undergraduate recipient: Morgan Von Staden, Mississippi State University
Chapter of the Year:
- Chapter of the Year—University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Outstanding Chapter in Public Outreach: University of Wisconsin – Madison
- Outstanding Chapter in Membership Experience: McGill University
- Outstanding Chapter in Organizational Growth: the University of California – Davis
- Outstanding Chapter in National Engagement: California State Polytechnic University – Pomona
College Bowl, sponsored by the Nestle Purina Petcare Company:
- First place: University of California, Davis
- Runner up: Purdue University
Thanks again to all of our sponsors!