Eat Your Way Around the IFT16 Expo Floor: Part 2
A great way to learn about the trends affecting the food industry and how ingredients function in applications is to sample the food and beverage product concepts that ingredient manufacturers have developed. The following list is by no means complete; consider it a sampling. Enjoy your time at the IFT16 expo by walking up and down the aisles and discovering more product concepts for yourself.
- ADM (booth 2002) is demonstrating its ingredient expertise in grains, protein, flavors, colors, nuts, legumes, fats and oils, and sweeteners with product concepts that range from baked goods and snacks to beverages and confections. Try gluten-free brownie thins dipped in salted caramel and drizzled with chocolate and sugar-free gum with an upfront sweet mango flavor that evolves into a long-lasting dual sensation of habanero heat and mint cooling. Snack on savory Beanoa chips and sweet snack bites that are made with crunchy ancient grain puffs and crisps. A chilled soup product concept is made from plant-based proteins while a spicy African peri peri red bean and sweet potato spread features red bean grits, sunflower oil, peanut flour, and Eatem spice concentrate. Beverages include a fruit smoothie, organic rosemary lemonade tea, and a vegan high-protein drink.
- BI Nutraceuticals (booth 1053) has three product concepts ready for sampling. Quinoa Crisp Marshmallow Pop contains the company’s gluten-free quinoa ingredient. Horchata features a clean-label, hypoallergenic faba bean protein concentrate (80%) with cinnamon powder. A tropical juice contains turmeric powder with alfalfa, broccoli, kale, and spinach powders.
- A Brazilian Carolina Pastry filled with dulce de leche is made with Bionis YE DRK dark yeast extract, which gives a roasted taste to the dulce de leche, according to Biorigin (booth 612). The company has a new yeast extract, Bionis HN 12, that it will feature in Grissini Sticks, long, thin, crisp Italian-style bread sticks. The 5’nucleotides in the yeast extract bring out a savory taste profile and up the umami taste in the breadsticks.
- Try savory ice cream in three varieties made with flavor ingredients from Gold Coast Ingredients (booth 2417). Tempt your taste buds with ice cream in Thai Coconut Curry, Chicken & Waffles, and Japanese Miso flavors.
- Chicago-style “Not” Dog, Delicious Hot Diggity Dog, protein-fortified Clearly Refreshing Strawberry Limeade Slushy, and Va-Va Voom Velvet Cake with Creamy Frosting are formulated with ingredients that help improve taste and texture. ICL Food Specialties (booth 1254) is focusing on the functionalities of protein ingredients such as its ROVITARIS Protein System used in the Chicago-style “Not” Dog, where it helps to improve the textural attributes of this vegetarian product.
- Street foods and food trucks are all the rage in the culinary world. Product developers are taking cues from them as well and developing handheld snacks and flavorful beverages based on traditional food truck fare. Visit Tate & Lyle (booth 1248) to try its globally inspired product concepts and learn how its starches, sweeteners, and fibers function in them. A Sweet Street Taco is made with the newly introduced CLARIA Delight tapioca-based starch that gives the mousse filling a creamy texture. A Reduced-Calorie/Reduced-Sugar Spicy Chocolate Milk is sweetened with DOLCIA PRIMA Allulose low-calorie sugar. Also available are a Gluten-Free Cinnamon-Sugar Donut and Fiber-Enriched Summer Mango Gazpacho.
- For a refreshing way to quench your thirst, stop by Virginia Dare’s booth (booth 1226) to try a tea flight made with the company’s tea extracts.