2015 IFTSA Student Competition Winners
Congratulations to all the IFT Student Association 2015 Competition Winners! And thanks to all the finalist teams that participated.
Product Development Competition, sponsored by Mars Chocolate North America:
- 1st place: McGill University—TiraVerde
Inspired by classic tiramisu, TiraVerde is a green, satisfying rendition that is packed with avocados. This decadent, healthy snack is a convenient pick-me-up with added protein and fiber.
- 2nd place: Michigan State University—Souperbowl
- 3rd place: Pennsylvania State University— Happy Valley-oli
Developing Solutions for Developing Countries Competition:
- 1st place: McGill University— Falamus Instant Mix
Falamus Instant Mix is a nutrient dense flour used to instantly prepare hummus or falafels, and intends to alleviate malnutrition in Syrian refugee camps.
- 2nd place: University of Wisconsin, Madison—Nu Stew
- 3rd place: University of Massachusetts—Meal-malade
- 1st place: University of Costa Rica—Cricketa
Cricketa is a cookie snack with cricket flour and sweet potato puree; source of protein, iron, and vitamin A for Costa Rican children.
- 2nd place: University of Costa Rica—Molibannann
- 3rd place: Universiti Putra Malaysia—Coco-Wormy
- Grand prize: Cal Poly—Build A Snowman Kit
- 1st place: University of Georgia—Snow Snacks
Global Student Innovation Challenge, sponsored by Tate & Lyle
- 1st place: Hanyu Yangcheng (Iowa State University)—KIK-Food Stabilizer System
A blend of natural hydrocolloids that add to the body, provides stability, improves mouthfeel, and enhances sweetness for low-fat dairy desserts
- 2nd place: Shintaro Pang (University of Massachusetts Amherst)—ChiaTek
- 3rd place: Ryan Murphy (Purdue University)—InGluTech
Chapter of the Year:
- Chapter of the Year—University of Wisconsin, Madison
Undergraduate Research Paper Competition:
- 1st place: Daniel Finkenaur (Louisiana State University)—“A development of lyophilized alginate microcapsules coated with egg white protein for enhancing viability of Lactobacillus reuteri”
- 2nd place: Elvira Sukamtoh (University of Massachusetts Amherst)
- 3rd place: Meredith Kuchera (Washington State University)
Excellence in Leadership:
- Graduate: Suzy Hammons (Purdue University)
- Undergraduate: Sarah Tensa (Oregon State University)
College Bowl winner: North Carolina State University
Thanks again to all of our sponsors!